Coffs Harbour’s council is pushing for the formation of a state-led action group to tackle systemic exploitation of blueberry pickers.

The move comes in response to ongoing reports of labour exploitation in Coffs Harbour and the Nambucca Valley, brought to national attention by an ABC Four Corners exposé earlier this month. 

What’s happening: The NSW Anti-slavery Commissioner, Dr James Cockayne, has found migrant workers are being “systematically exploited by a group of informal labour hire syndicates”.

His reporting highlights workers being underpaid, having their passports confiscated, and being overcharged for substandard and overcrowded accommodation.

Instances of sexual harassment, threats and intimidation have also been recorded.

Human misery: At City of Coffs Harbour’s August 20 meeting, councillor Tony Judge urged the council to take immediate action. 

  • “There's people in our region experiencing human misery because of what's happening around ... a few dodgy labour hire companies that are pervasive within the industry,” Judge said. 

  • “These [workers] are people with no agency over their lives. By any definition, this is slavery.”

Time for change: Judge called for council to collaborate with Dr Cockayne to establish an action group, which would share and act on information about worker exploitation.

The group would bring together government agencies, councils and other stakeholders. 

Ready to act: Judge’s motion passed unanimously, committing council to be “alert to the indicators” of exploitation and modern slavery, and to report them to agencies with enforcement powers.

  • Council staff will write to federal immigration minister Tony Burke, seeking changes to PALM visa settings, so temporary migrant workers are not tied to - and dependent on - certain employers.

Gap in the rules: The council is also calling on the state government to urgently implement a licensing scheme for labour hire companies.

A coalition of more than 20 organisations echoed this call in a statement to media this week, including Berries Australia, Unions NSW and the Australian Fresh Produce Alliance. 

  • “We call for legislation to be passed this parliamentary term and for the scheme to be in operation by 1 July 2027,” the co-signed statement said.

Weak laws: Unions NSW Secretary Mark Morey said “unscrupulous operators are targeting NSW because it doesn’t have a licensing scheme”.

  • “We need to close this loophole and give migrant workers the support they need.”

Oxley MP Michael Kemp told the Mid North Coaster it is “absolutely imperative” that “dodgy labour hire firms” are reined in as quickly as possible.