🟡 Coffs MP says guns could move around MNC
Including: What's happening with Waterfall Way, when will Kindee Bridge be replaced, and will Amy Riddle win Regional Woman of the Year?
⏱️ The 97th edition of our newsletter is a seven-minute read.
👋 Hello, it’s Ellie – your Mid North Coaster reporter.
📢 Today’s call out: March events.
Do you know of an upcoming event happening in March? Whether it’s family-friendly, live music, free, or ticketed, from MidCoast to City of Coffs Harbour send the details by replying to this email.
And keep an eye out next week for our What’s On coverage for the month of March.
Remember, anyone can get in touch any time – to send in a pic, or a story tip, some feedback or to simply say hi, just reply to this email and I’ll be on the other side.

Today’s newsletter
In this edition, we’ll take a look at:
The work in correctional services by Coffs Harbour’s Amy Riddle that lead to her being named a finalist for NSW Regional Woman of the Year
The 90-year-old Kindee Bridge, and why residents might be waiting another decade or two before funding is allocated for a replacement
The update on part of Waterfall Way — between Bellingen and Dorrigo — that was closed last month after a 250-tonne landslip.
🗓️ An event happening this weekend:


Let’s dive in…
🔫 NSW Nationals leader says new gun laws will mean more weapons are transported around the MNC
Hundreds of people descended on a Kundabung farm that doubles as a gun shop on Tuesday to protest and learn about new firearm laws.
What happened: In the wake of the Bondi terror attack, the NSW and federal governments passed legislation that includes limiting gun ownership to four per person, or 10 for primary producers, pest controllers and sporting/target shooters.
The laws are yet to come into effect, and before they do Farmers NSW and National Party MPs on the Mid North Coast are agitating for alterations, particularly around gun limits.
Local voice: Tuesday’s information session about the gun law changes was organised by State Nationals MP Michael Kemp (Oxley). State Nationals leader Gurmesh Singh (Coffs Harbour) attended the event at Old West Guns in Kundabung - about 18km west of Crescent Head - as did federal National MP Pat Conaghan (Cowper) and Robert Borsak Member of the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party.

Hundreds of people gathered at the Kundabung property on Tuesday, February 18. Picture supplied.
Singh told the Mid North Coaster that landowners who employ shooters to cull pests on large farms will be forced to move weapons between properties under new gun legislation.
He gave the example of a farmer who employed people to work on their property to eradicate pests.
“They need different calibre guns for different pests,” he said. “And if you’re a farm owner, you don’t expect an employee to bring their own guns to work, just as you would not expect them to bring their own tractor to work.”
The MP said a property owner with large acreage may need multiple people working at the same time with different calibre firearms. The 10-gun limit could make this problematic, he said, adding that on some “big properties”, or on holdings where a landowner’s acreage was spread across different sites, farmers may have gun safes at more than one home.
Singh said limiting the number of guns to 10 would lead to more weapons having to be transported around the Mid North Coast.
Competition impacted: Sporting shooters would also suffer, the MP said, as they competed in up to eight disciplines requiring different firearms, and needed not only a “good competition gun but another one for training”.
“It’s no different to being a competitive cyclist,” Singh said.
No change yet: The Nationals’ attempts to convince the Minns government to allow more than 10 weapons to be held under certain provisions have been so far unsuccessful.
Singh said the fact the regulations have not yet been finalised or introduced has led to a confusion among gun owners.
Kemp described the legislation as “a rushed, knee-jerk reaction that unfairly targets firearm users who follow the rules”.
“Lawful firearm owners should not be punished because of the horrific attack at Bondi,” Kemp said. “This event was the first step. We must keep the pressure on.”
Lobby group NSW Farmers is calling for more consultation and some exemptions.
What next: Attendees of the Kundabung meeting were encouraged to contact the Premier and the Police Minister regarding their concerns and to sign the NSW Parliament petition currently before the House of Parliament
🗞️In other news: Gurmesh Singh wins preselection for Coffs Harbour

🏆 Coffs Harbour’s Amy Riddle is in the running to win Regional Woman of the Year
Coffs Harbour’s Amy Riddle is one of three finalists in the Regional Woman of the Year category for 2026 NSW Women of the Year Awards for her complex and often challenging frontline work focused on reducing rates of re-offending.
What happened: Riddle has lived and worked in Coffs Harbour since 1999. Her professional experience spans youth services, domestic violence victim survivor services, NSW Police and Corrective Services NSW.
Riddle is currently a Team Leader with Community Corrections. She was nominated for the award by her colleagues for the work she’s done over the past nine years within Corrective Services, focused on reducing re-offending rates, supporting victim-survivors, helping offenders to change their anti-social behaviours and connecting vulnerable people to services to steer them away from a life of crime.
Riddle told the Mid North Coaster it was “an honour” to be named a finalist.
“I’m proud to represent my community and grateful to be recognised alongside such inspiring women making a real difference across not only our region but across the state,” Riddle said.
“I hope this recognition encourages more women and girls in regional NSW to believe in their potential and know that their contributions truly matter.”
A team effort: Riddle says the recognition reflects the dedication of her team “who shares a commitment to strengthening our regional communities and promoting justice and community safety.”
The awards will be announced at a ceremony in Sydney on March 5 in the lead-up to International Women’s Day on March 8.

⛔️ Without funding for construction, Kindee Bridge could be over a century old by the time it’s replaced
Kindee Bridge – located about 50km west of Port Macquarie –is almost 90-years-old.
Forced to close if the river beneath it rises above 1.7 metres – or if maintenance work is carried out – the 90 or so residents living in Kindee can find themselves isolated and making a detour that more than doubles the drive to access supplies, schools and other major hubs.
What gives? Consultation for a new bridge was carried out four-and-a-half years ago, however funding is yet to be allocated.
Instead, council is putting $1.4 million toward maintaining the existing bridge to prolong its life further, begging the question: Will Kindee Bridge be older than a century when it’s finally replaced?
Previously: A 127-page council report on options for Kindee Bridge, including designs for a replacement bridge, was presented in June 2021.
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council said the community supported a new bridge to be built immediately upstream, but the project remains at a stand still.
Just two months ago, on December 16, the bridge was closed yet again – this time due to concerns with load capacity.
During planning for major maintenance and flood recovery works, engineers identified issues and the bridge was temporarily closed.
Pedestrian access was open one week later, but the bridge remained closed to all vehicles until January 9 when it was reopened to vehicles up to 3.5-tonnes.

Port Macquarie-Hastings Facebook page, posted December 17 2025.
This week: On Tuesday, local representatives met with community members to discuss the future of the bridge.
Member for Oxley Michael Kemp, Member for Lyne Alison Penfold, Port Macquarie-Hastings Mayor Adam Roberts and Council’s Director of Community Infrastructure Ben Wood were all present.
Following the meeting, Kemp told the Mid North Coaster council had committed to strengthening the footings and maintaining the structure to return the bridge to its previous 10-tonne load capacity.
Kemp said this maintenance could extend the bridge’s life by 10 to 20 years.
“That will give [the council] time to seek alternative funding from state and federal governments,” Kemp said.
“We do know that there's a proposed site already there. It's been approved by the community. What they're doing now is they're buying themselves time to seek further funding to build a replacement.”

Local representatives meet with Kindee residents to talk about the future of the bridge. Picture supplied.
What is council doing?: A Port Macquarie-Hastings Council spokesperson told the Mid North Coaster it has allocated $1.4 million this financial year towards the bridge rehabilitation works.
“Works are expected to commence in the second half of 2026, with final time frames dependent on design and contractor methodology,” the spokesperson said.
“The objectives of the rehabilitation works are to restore the bridge to a 10-tonne load capacity, and provide a minimum of 10 years of additional life.”
Second priority: Mr Kemp said he understood why Kindee Bridge hasn’t been at the top of the priority list, based on population and traffic numbers, but says the community has waited its turn.
“Even though every small community suffers the difficulty of not having a lot of numbers there to compete with priorities of replacement… It's been 90 years,” Kemp said.
“This community has waited and suffered low prioritisation for many, many years… and there always comes a time when you must prioritise even a small community.”
While Kemp believes the Kindee Bridge situation should finally be sorted, he says Wrights Road and Lake Road intersection in Port Macquarie should remain next in line for government funded upgrades.
“I have committed to still making Wrights Road and Lake Road intersection the number one priority, but Kindee should be number two,” Kemp said.
Detour more than doubles trip: When Kindee Bridge is closed, due to river levels or rehabilitation works, residents are required to detour using Pipeclay Road.
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council acknowledged this as a "significant detour for many residents” following the bridge’s closure in December 2025.
If Kindee residents travelling to Port Macquarie can cross the bridge they are directly linked with Oxley Highway, making the trip about a 45-minute drive to the CBD.
If the bridge is closed, Kindee residents would need to take the winding Pipeclay Road which adds about an hour to the trip.
Council began grading works on Pipeclay Road in early January to improve access and safety.
The bridge is currently open with a load limit of one vehicle at a time up to 3.5 tonnes.
📹 Looking through a national lens
Reporter Archie Milligan over at our National Account broke down how much fossil fuel money did political parties take last election.
Watch the short video below to find out:
📢 Community announcements
What’s happening at Waterfall Way: On Wednesday, the NSW Government announced one lane on Waterfall Way can reopen after a landslip closed it last month.
Temporary traffic lights will manage alternating traffic flow.
A 40 km/h speed limit will apply.
Vehicles wider than three metres will not be permitted.
The NSW Government said the road may close again without notice in response to rainfall or further slope movement.
Engineers will continue planning the permanent stabilisation design and risk mitigation work at the Gordonville Cutting site.
The Government will continue to progress a full corridor assessment of Waterfall Way and surrounding routes to identify alternative improvements and long-term resilience measures.

That’s all for now
Thanks for reading! I’ll be back next week.
In the meantime, make sure you’re following along on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Facebook and our website to keep up to date with local news throughout the week.
Have a lovely weekend,
Ellie
P.S. 🗞️ Incase you missed it: Meet local artist, Pip Beale, who combines science and art…
