Without funding for construction, Kindee Bridge could be over a century old by the time it’s replaced

The weight-load limit may be restored to 10-tonnes, but Kindee residents remain on the waitlist for a new bridge.

Kindee Bridge – located about 50km west of Port Macquarie –is almost 90-years-old. 

Forced to close if the river beneath it rises above 1.7 metres – or if maintenance work is carried out – the 90 or so residents living in Kindee can find themselves isolated and making a detour that more than doubles the drive to access supplies, schools and other major hubs.

What gives? Consultation for a new bridge was carried out four-and-a-half years ago, however funding is yet to be allocated.

Instead, council is putting $1.4 million toward maintaining the existing bridge to prolong its life further, begging the question: Will Kindee Bridge be older than a century when it’s finally replaced?

Previously: A 127-page council report on options for Kindee Bridge, including designs for a replacement bridge, was presented in June 2021.

  • Port Macquarie-Hastings Council said the community supported a new bridge to be built immediately upstream, but the project remains at a stand still. 

Just two months ago, on December 16, the bridge was closed yet again – this time due to concerns with load capacity.

  • During planning for major maintenance and flood recovery works, engineers identified issues and the bridge was temporarily closed.

  • Pedestrian access was open one week later, but the bridge remained closed to all vehicles until January 9 when it was reopened to vehicles up to 3.5-tonnes.

Port Macquarie-Hastings Facebook page, posted December 17 2025.

This week: On Tuesday, local representatives met with community members to discuss the future of the bridge. 

  • Member for Oxley Michael Kemp, Member for Lyne Alison Penfold,  Port Macquarie-Hastings Mayor Adam Roberts and Council’s Director of Community Infrastructure Ben Wood were all present.

Following the meeting, Kemp told the Mid North Coaster council had committed to strengthening the footings and maintaining the structure to return the bridge to its previous 10-tonne load capacity. 

Kemp said this maintenance could extend the bridge’s life by 10 to 20 years.

  • “That will give [the council] time to seek alternative funding from state and federal governments,” Kemp said.

“We do know that there's a proposed site already there. It's been approved by the community. What they're doing now is they're buying themselves time to seek further funding to build a replacement.”

Local representatives meet with Kindee residents to talk about the future of the bridge. Picture supplied.

What is council doing?: A Port Macquarie-Hastings Council spokesperson told the Mid North Coaster it has allocated $1.4 million this financial year towards the bridge rehabilitation works.

  • “Works are expected to commence in the second half of 2026, with final time frames dependent on design and contractor methodology,” the spokesperson said.

“The objectives of the rehabilitation works are to restore the bridge to a 10-tonne load capacity, and provide a minimum of 10 years of additional life.”

Second priority: Kemp said he understood why Kindee Bridge hasn’t been at the top of the priority list, based on population and traffic numbers, but says the community has waited its turn.

  • “Even though every small community suffers the difficulty of not having a lot of numbers there to compete with priorities of replacement… It's been 90 years,” Kemp said.

“This community has waited and suffered low prioritisation for many, many years… and there always comes a time when you must prioritise even a small community.” 

While Kemp believes the Kindee Bridge situation should finally be sorted, he says Wrights Road and Lake Road intersection in Port Macquarie should remain next in line for government funded upgrades.  

  • “I have committed to still making Wrights Road and Lake Road intersection the number one priority, but Kindee should be number two,” Kemp said.

Instagram Post

Detour more than doubles trip: When Kindee Bridge is closed, due to river levels or rehabilitation works, residents are required to detour using Pipeclay Road.

Port Macquarie-Hastings Council acknowledged this as a "significant detour for many residents” following the bridge’s closure in December 2025.

  • If Kindee residents travelling to Port Macquarie can cross the bridge they are directly linked with Oxley Highway, making the trip about a 45-minute drive to the CBD.

  • If the bridge is closed, Kindee residents would need to take the winding Pipeclay Road which adds about an hour to the trip.

Council began grading works on Pipeclay Road in early January to improve access and safety.

The bridge is currently open with a load limit of one vehicle at a time up to 3.5 tonnes.

Thumbnail: Local representatives meet with Kindee residents to talk about the future of the bridge on February 17. Picture supplied Michael Kemp’s office.